This is a quick and satisfying weeknight recipe that you can serve with a cool salad with a lemony dressing or your choice of pasta. For four people, you will need:
4 chicken cutlets, pounded thin
whole wheat or unbleached white flour for dredging
2 eggs, beaten
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1 cup Panko bread crumbs
2 tbsp fresh sage, finely chopped
1 cup Fontina cheese, grated
4 thin slices of prosciutto di Parma
2 tbsp unsalted butter
2 tbsp of olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
1. Set the oven at 250 F.
2. Season the chicken on both sides with a generous amount of salt and pepper.
3. In a bowl, beat the eggs with the mustard and set aside. On a plate, mix the breadcrumbs with the sage and set aside.
4. Dredge the chicken cutlets in the flour on both sides and shake off any excess.
5. Dip it in the egg mixture and let the excess drip off.
6. Then, coat both sides of each cutlet with the breadcrumb mixture and arrange on a wire rack set on a baking sheet. Repeat for every piece of meat. Store in the refrigerator for 30 to 60 minutes.
7. Heat the butter and the oil in a large pan on medium heat. Cook the cutlets on one side until light brown, two or three minutes. Turn them over and cook for a few minutes more. Don’t over cook them.
8. Transfer to a clean baking sheet and top with the cheese. Place in the oven until the cheese has melted, about 10 minutes. Add one slice of prosciutto on each cutlet and put back in the oven for a few minutes, just to warm the prosciutto through.