This should have been one of my first posts.
It has been a staple at our house for years. I started making this years ago – in another century. This is the creamiest, most succulent recipe for chicken chili, and brace yourself, it is completely low-fat and totally guilt free.
But your guests will never know that.
4 tablespoons neutral tasting oil
1 medium onion, finely chopped
3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
2 large red bell peppers, cut into 1.5 cm/half an inch squares
2 jalapeño peppers, seeded and finely diced
3 boneless, skinless chicken breast, thinly sliced
6 tablespoons flour
2 cups chicken broth
1 cup milk
1 cup 2% Carnation evaporated milk
1 chipotle pepper in adobo, finely chopped, plus a bit of sauce
1 tablespoon chili powder
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons sweet paprika
1 teaspoon good quality dried oregano
3-5 drops liquid smoke (optional)
1 can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed (19 oz, 540 ml)
salt and pepper to taste
sharp cheddar cheese
fresh jalapeño slices
1. In a heavy bottom pot, cook the onion, garlic, red bell peppers and jalapeños in the oil over medium heat until soft, about 5 minutes.
2. Add the sliced chicken and a big pinch of salt and stir for a few minutes until the chicken is partly cooked.
3. Add the flour and stir for one minute until well combined.
4. Add the rest of the ingredients and simmer, partially covered, for 25 minutes, stirring once in a while.
5. Serve in individual bowls and add your favorite garnishes. You will want a second serving.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
Total time: 40 minutes