Here is a brand new way of having pork and cabbage, Italian style.
You can put this together very quickly and it often a mid-week dinner meal at our house. It is adapted from a Biba Caggiano recipe. Biba has never disappointed me and this recipe is no exception.
1 500 g pork tenderloin
1 or 2 tablespoons olive oil
50 g pancetta, finely chopped
1 pinch red hot pepper flakes
1/4 small green cabbage, finely shredded
1 shallot, finely sliced
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1/4 cup white wine vinegar
1 cup water
1/2 cup parmesan, grated
Salt and pepper
Preheat the oven to 350 F.
1. Cook the pancetta in the olive oil over medium heat for 1 or 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
2. When the pancetta starts to crisp up, add the shallot and cabbage and cook for a few minutes, until softened. Add the garlic, the hot pepper flakes and cook one more minute.
3. Add the vinegar and the water, cover partially and simmer until all the liquid has evaporated, about 25 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and let cool completely.
4. Beat the egg with the parmesan. The mixture will be thick. Add this to the cabbage and stir well. Taste and adjust seasonings.
5. Butterfly the pork tenderloin and smack it with a meat tenderizer until it is an even thickness. Season it inside and out with salt and pepper. Spread the cabbage all over, then roll it up tightly. Secure with kitchen twine.
6. In a non-stick skillet, cook the pork tenderloin on all sides until golden, a few minutes, then transfer to the hot oven and cook for about 20 minutes. Let the meat rest for 5 minutes, then cut and serve.