Whether you want to be a star at brunch or simply impress your partner for a romantic meal for two, this recipe will not disappoint you. And it is not just for brunch. I have had this many times for dinner and it is quite satisfying.
I like to imitate egg whites by replacing them with fresh mozzarella di buffala. Not only are they tastier than egg whites, but the texture is also more enjoyable. By adding parmesan to the actual egg whites and hiding them in the sauce, you get all your protein and a burst of flavour you are not going to forget anytime soon. Enjoy my friends!
Ingredients (for two people):
1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil
2 garlic cloves, finely minced
1 pinch red pepper flakes
1 small can tomatoes, I used canned cherry tomatoes
1 large pinch dried oregano
4 large eggs, separated
2 tablespoons parmesan, grated
4 slices fresh mozzarella, sliced 1 cm thick
fresh basil, torn
extra-virgin olive oil, for serving
salt and pepper to taste
1. In a skillet, over medium-low heat, cook the garlic in the olive oil until it starts to turn golden.
2. Add the red pepper flakes, then the tomatoes and the oregano. Add a pinch of salt and bring to a boil.
3. Reduce the heat to low and cook, uncovered, until the sauce is thick and fragrant, about 15 to 20 minutes.
4. During that time, break the eggs, separating the yolks and the whites. Put the whites in a medium-sized bowl and the yolks in small individual containers like ramequins.
5. Whisk the egg white with a fork, just to loosen them up and add the parmesan and a pinch of pepper.
6. When the sauce has reduced, add the egg white-parmesan mixture and stir to distribute evenly. Stir again after one minute or two.
7. Raise the heat to medium. Add the mozzarella slices in the sauce and cover for one minute, just to heat them through.
8. With a small spoon, make a small indentation in the middle of each cheese slice and put one yolk per slice, right in the middle. Cover for one minute to heat the yolks through.
9. Sprinkle the torn basil on top and serve with a drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil and crusty bread on the side.