You must know by now my love for soups.
This one is just perfect for this time of year, when evenings can still be a bit chilly, at least here in Canada. You have unexpected guests for dinner? This is a quick soup to put together, and you will impress everyone with it.
This soup is quite versatile. You could make it spicy by adding a bit of fresh or dried hot peppers, you can make it completely smooth by puréeing it, or leave it chunky. I like to purée just a bit of it to make it velvety and rich. You could also add one or two potatoes in there, or a bit of pasta. The choice is yours.
Minestra di ceci e peperoni
3 to 4 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
2 sprigs rosemary, leaves only, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 Roma tomatoes, chopped
2 red bell peppers, chopped
3 cups (or to taste) vegetable broth
1 400 g (14 oz) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
salt and pepper to taste
extra-virgin olive oil, to serve
1. Cook the onion and rosemary in olive oil over medium-low heat until the onion is translucent but not coloured, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for one more minute.
2. Add the tomatoes with a bit of water and continue to cook until the tomatoes are soft and a bit mushy, about 10 minutes.
3. Chop the bell peppers in 1 cm (1/2 inch) squares and add to the pot. Stir for five minutes.
4. Add the broth and the chickpeas and cook until the bell peppers are soft, about 15 minutes.
5. Take one ladle of soup and purée it in a blender and add back to the pot. Taste and season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve in warm bowls with a drizzle of olive oil.
Categories: Soups, Vegan, Vegetarian
I love soup and I love chickpeas! Looks fantastic and I really like how you only purée just a bit to thicken it up a little.
Puréeing a bit gives the impression of added cream and gives a wonderful texture. I try to do this if I can. Thanks for your comment.
This looks like a simple and flavorful soup. Fantastic!
Hope you try it, it was wonderful.
You know, I was going to publish a chickpea soup recipe this week…In the end, I wrote it but I made a quicker flat bread recipe instead. Chickpeas are so delicious and versatile! I like the combination of red bell peppers and chickpeas! Sound amazing!!
It was indeed very good. It is certainly a combination to remember.
This sounds tasty and healthy… Soup win!